1. What is the first thing you do when you get to the barn? Well now that Remus lives behind my house it usually is give him a treat. Come to think of it it was the same thing when I boarded. Treat Treat Treat!
2. Is there a breed that you would never own? I keep saying I don’t want a gaited horse but maybe if I get any more decrepit I may need one! I don’t think I would want a Gypsy or Friesian or anything like that. Too much extra hair even though they are gorgeous.
3. Describe your last ride? My lesson a week ago? BUT IT WAS PERFECT. Sigh. Flies will be gone one day I hope. It is supposed to cool up at night this week so hoping to ride then.
4. Have any irrational riding fears? Do you have a few hours for me to go through them all? I am pretty irrational overall (I am the person who wakes up in the night and tries to remember if I turned the fan off, the water off, etc. So the riding part makes me even more irrational). I am terrified that Remus is going to take off with me if I am hacking out (he hasn’t) or will dump me for something silly(he has). Stupid thoughts, go away.
5. Describe your favorite lesson horse? Idaho was the first pony I loved at my barn growing up. He was a nasty (probably Shetland cross) piebald paint gelding. But omg he was SO CUTE. And everyone wanted to ride him even though he was SO LAZY. Like to even getting him to canter was a miracle.
Also Joker was a gray half arab I rode for a few years till I outgrew him. I rode him and won a lot of ribbons in western pleasure with him. Such a cute freckled gray.
6. Would you ever lease out your horse? Sure would. Take my horse. Please 🙂
7. Mares: Yay or neigh? Ehhhh. I have only owned a couple. I guess if the perfect horse presented itself and was a mare I would go for it. I am more a gelding person though.
8. How many time per week do you get to see your horse? Seven days a week now. Back when I board 2-3 times a week depending on schedule.
9. Favorite thing to do on an “easy day” with your pony? Bath time. Hack out. Sheesh all our rides are easy day with us!
10. Conformational flaw that bothers you the most? I am not found of a lot of white in the horses eyes (though it is great side eye material). That really isnt a conformational issue though. Otherwise I am okay with most conformational flaws. A lot of issues can be resolved with good training and good farriers so I would not say no to horses with issues.
11. Thing about your riding that you’re most self conscious about? Hands, omg hands. And sitting up and looking ahead instead of down at the neck. YOU WOULD THINK by this time since I have ridden for 40 plus years I would figure this out. Nope.
12. Will you be participating in no stirrup November? HA big fat no for me. I barely ever sit Remus’s trot. 🙂
13. What is your grooming routine? I luckily own the cleanest dirt-colored horse in the world. He literally shines the less you brush him! If I am grooming I use a curry to get any mud off then soft brushes, then mane and tail then clean the feet. But seriously DIRT COLORED. ALWAYS LOOKS GOOD. Lucky I am!
14. Describe a day in the life of your horse? Ummm nap? Stand in front of 4-5 fans? Nap some more. Eat some hay. Nap some more? Drink some water. Nap some more. A perfect day for Remus is to be out eating grass but with bugmania he will take standing in his stall in front of a fan. Not a hard life.
15. Favorite season for riding? I used to say Spring but now let’s say Fall. Why? Because of Tennessee’s ability to jump into Summer so early. AND the bugs. And flies. YUK. Let’s just say Fall!
16. If you could only have 1 ring: indoor or outdoor? Shit I would take a ring. ANY RING! I would not be picky.
17. What impresses you most about the opposite discipline (english vs. western)? I rode Western Pleasure as a kid. I loved all the outfits and the saddles and pretty bridles and bits. I feel today’s western horses are so slow moving and peanut pushers but back then they were really nice horses. I think I am most amazed how they get their horses so steady. Like never varies the gait. It is kind of cool.
18. You have unlimited funds to buy one entire tack set for your horse, what is he/she wearing? I would buy a Stubben Optimum monoflap (again). This one I would have custom with the colors I want and an 18 inch for me. The one I got as a demo I love but a 17.5 is pushing it for me. While I am at it I would buy a Zaria for fun and a Portos too. Stubben all the way 🙂
19. How many blankets do you have? When do you blanket? Umm too many?
I have one heavy weight, two 100 grams, at least six sheets, four or five fly sheets, a couple scrim sheets, a liner or two. For ONE HORSE. 🙂 I blanket more than anyone probably because again in my back yard so I can remove or add layers as needed.
Often if it is 45 or below he has a sheet on. If it is wet too, even at that temp, I will layer up. If it is balls to the walls cold, I will layer up even more. OR put on the heavyweight. Remus seems to like being warm! He does not complain about blankets or sheets or flysheets!
20. What is your horse’s favorite treat? Favorite place to be scratched? Remus likes those Tractor Supply treats a lot (Nicker Makers I think?). Carrots too. Apples. Mints. You name it. He did not like the berry flavored Standlee treats from Tractor Supply though. LIKE WHO MAKES BERRY TREATS FOR HORSES? I did not blame him.
21. Something about your barn that drives you crazy? THE FLIES. The fact that the afternoon sun blazes into the front of the barn making me have to leave the doors closed even when it is nice out. If I had my way I would not have had my barn so close to the lake. Unfortunately there are like five ponds (everyone in Tennessee has a pond) on our road too. So not many places to move the barn to if I could.
Future Wishes: Screened in doors to open up with shade installed.
22. Roached manes, pulled manes, or long flowing manes? Pulled manes. Hate long manes and not a fan of roached.
23. Can you handle a buck or a rear better? ICK pass on both but buck before rear (I think).
24. I would never buy a horse who ___________________? Cribs. Despise it.
Or bites or kicks (good manners are important to me)
25. Favorite facial marking? I love a bald faced paint. Though a stripe or a star are cute too. Blazes too. GIVE ME ALL THE FACIAL MARKINGS. OOHHH SNIPS TOO (ha I can keep going)!