This looked fun from Liz’s In Omnia Paratus blog and I haven’t done one of these before so thought I would try to join in:
- Most equestrians quote fall as their favorite season to ride. Are you one of those that does? Or maybe not; what is your favorite season to ride, if so? I love Fall but Spring is good too. My least fave are hot/cold (Summer/Winter). Anytime there is a slight nip to the air is great!
- Do you clip your horse in the fall? Or maybe you wait a little longer? I have trace clipped Remus but did not last year. Due to his enormous coat this year so far I may trace clip again but won’t do it till into November or so if I can help it! We shall see. This year’s hot temps into Fall made a lot of people do it earlier I think!
- Have any costume riding events in October on/near/around Halloween? What will your horse be dressed as? What about yourself? What would you dress as if money/time were absolutely no issue? OMG I did the Plantation Halloween one year, I am going this year to help a friend and i can’t wait to see all the costumes but Remus’ tiny brain could not handle all the ribbons, bells, chains and whatnot hanging from those horses (I fell off in Stadium he was so jazzed up LOL havent shown there since HA). I don’t dress up for Halloween though we have been known to dress our dogs up!
- Is your horse afraid of any autumn colors? Or maybe has a certain quirk that appears only in the autumn? Children of the corn (dried corn stalks) and leaves rustling. He has gotten better but he used to be really flighty with those! I also get a horse that feels much fresher usually in the Fall which is good and bad at times 🙂
- Pumpkin spice. It’s everywhere right now. Find any natural pumpkin [squash] spice-esque recipes for your horse? Nope, carrots he gets pretty much year round.
- We’re getting to the end of the calendar year, any final few “big-bang” shows to look forward to? I haven’t decided what to do yet, we have one final horse trial in early November (Harvestfest at St Augustine) I usually go to but haven’t even schooled there this year, there are a few combined trainings coming up too but maybe the cooler weather will energize me to sign up for SOMETHING?
- Winter is coming. What are you doing to winterize your trailer/rig/car? I have only had my trailer going on 3 years. Besides the yearly servicing I don’t do much winterizing at all. We (knock wood) usually don’t get piles of snow so I pretty much park it and hope for the best. I did get it out in a few snow piles last year. Which was fun (not) thank goodness for the barn owner moving some of the snow for me!
- Do you have any autumn traditions you/your horse follow? Try to trail ride at least a bit. I only have done one paper chase but hope to do another one before Winter.
- October in many places marks the beginning of deer hunting season. Does this affect your riding at all? Do you wear blaze orange or modify your schedule to accommodate the season? Usually someone I am with has the blaze on. I am always a bit worried since REMUS is DEER COLORED. So there are times when I will just stay home or do a lesson than trail ride. I don’t trust people to not get trigger happy!
- What are you most looking forward to goal-wise as the final months of the calendar year approach? Mostly to get Remus dressage better and more consistent as well as my riding. We have struggled year after year on this and I hope to get more lessons in this year so I come out on the Spring side with a better base to go forward on. Jumping him is so much fun but the dressage goes by the wayside doing that!
3 thoughts on “Blog Hop Courtesy of In Omnia Paratus: October Questions”
Fall is such a wonderful time and thankfully it finally decided to show up today
LikeLiked by 1 person
He IS deer colored… can’t imagine someone would see Such a big horse and think “deer” but people can be really dumb!
LikeLiked by 1 person
and he gets DARKER just like deer do in the winter. People can be dumb! LOL